Celebrating Papa @ 60! (2)

The best place to begin is from the beginning! 
Brother David Olaniyi Oyedepo
Let's take you through Papa's upbringing, as culled from Bishop David Olaniyi Oyedepo's autobiography, "ON EAGLE'S WINGS: My First 30-Year Adventure In Ministry."

Hear him: 
"I was born in the church on September 27, 1954, at Osogbo, Osun State. In my very early days, the only outing I knew outside my home was going to church. My mother made me attend early morning prayers at 5a.m. everyday, dragging me along, half asleep and half awake."

Late Elder (Mrs) Dorcas Morenike Oyedepo (Papa's Mother)


Some great stuff he learnt from his grandmother, Late Mrs Rachael Adeyiola Odetundun. His words: 
"I grew up addicted both to God and the church. My parents left me behind in the village with my grandmother, who also was a devout Christian in the Anglican church. She would go to church on Sunday mornings for the Holy Communion, and would always take her tithe along with her in a tin container. I remember asking her one day, "What is this money you take to the church every Sunday morning?" She replied, "That is God’s portion that makes the remainder meaningful."
My grandmother was a far-above-average woman in her own right. She was well to do, and took good care of all her children. I grew up in a spiritually healthy environment, with my grandmother as my first God-ordained mentor. She did a good job on me through her philosophical teachings."

Late Mrs Rachael Adeyiola Odetundun (Papa's Grandmother)

That's not all:
 "She taught me the following: The dignity of labour; The futility of depending on one’s father’s inheritance; The burden of indebtedness or borrowing; The danger of keeping wrong company; The principles of commitment; and The dignity of integrity."
He continues: 
"I grew up addicted both to God and the church. My parents left me behind in the village with my grandmother, who also was a devout Christian in the Anglican church. She would go to church on Sunday mornings for the Holy Communion, and would always take her tithe along with her in a tin container. I remember asking her one day, "What is this money you take to the church every Sunday morning?" She replied, "That is God’s portion that makes the remainder meaningful."

Still on his grandmother... 
"I was fed on very deep proverbial saying as a little boy. She did a good job on me. On her death bed, when asked, “Are you owing anybody?” She said, “No!” “Are there people owing you?” she was the asked; and she drew out a long list of names and said, “If they pay back, take it; but if not, I forgive them, as no one rejoices with debt.”

No comments

Theme images by cmisje. Powered by Blogger.